Us

Us
Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Saturday, March 31, 2018

Mexico

So excited to share that our family is back from an amazing missions trip down to Mexico.  It was Dan's first time being able to go on a missions trip with Hands of Mercy and he was a driver of one of the vans. We had a total of 92 people and 9 vans. 
The border crossing this time was a little rough as 9 vans coming across at the same time sent off some red flags for immigration; I can't even imagine why. 😅 After a couple of hours, taking each van through x-ray and walking across the border to go through immigration, we made it and headed to Rancho Casita for our first night. 

I had been praying for two weeks that the rain would subside and we would have good, safe weather for our trip. It can be difficult working conditions down there let alone working in the pouring cold rain. The rain held off except for a couple times late at night which was fine because I was toasty in my sleeping bag by then.  We had three teams of about 30 people. We built three homes. 

I think the thing that blesses me most is watching all the kids and teenagers wanting to learn new skills and use them to bless a family they just met. Ryanne took on learning the roofing and she loved it! She also really jumped in and helped in the serving of the meals back at camp. 

Because Dan is way taller than me and of course stronger, he spent most of his time helping construct the roof and walls while I kept my feet on the ground working on installing windows and siding. 

Someone recently said that if you are going on a mission trip thinking you are going to go down and do something else to make someone else better or their life; you might just be missing the point of God working in you so that you are in a better place and have a stronger walk with Him. I could not agree with this more. People will say, "Oh I bet this is so rewarding for you." It is but probably not for the reasons you might think. Giving something that is material to someone does not make their lives better. It might make the struggle to survive easier but it won't bring them joy. I know so many people who have so much and are so miserable. But to go when you are called is where the reward is. The reward for me is in the obedience. Getting to love on others who need a little hand is just the icing on the cake. 

Morgan is leaving for college this summer and is  really feeling the tug to go into full time ministry. She's not sure if that's youth ministry or missions or both. But this past trip she got to teach and she was in heaven!








We have a favorite taco stand we stop at at least once and what's better than fellowship over tacos and cokes? 

I made some new friends and got to spend some good time with old friends. I learned some new building skills and am already looking forward to the next time I can go down and serve. Thank you Dan, Morgan & Ryanne for having the heart to serve and for also serving along side me. This trip will be forever one of my favorite family memories.
Blessings friends

1 comment:

Jessica said...

How neat that you guys could go serve together as a family... I'm sure you were all blessed, and a huge blessing to others!