Us

Us
Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Digging Deeper....

I'm just curious how many people besides myself do this. I'm ashamed to admit it but it's true that even after being a Christian for more than 20 years, I still take what people say about Gods word and let it go in one ear and out the other without really thinking it through. I often hear non-Christians and Christians alike quote scripture to someone who is struggling etc. Of course we all want to know the word and be ready and armed so that when not if God calls us to minister to someone we are ready. This  year I have made it my mission, my hearts desire to be in the word every single morning. To not get lazy or discouraged when things go south for us or someone close to us. But instead to train my heart to crave the word and run to it when chaos ensues. In that quest to go deeper with the Lord great things are taking place. He is making me sensitive to those around me. Quickening my heart to people who are hurting, struggling in their marriages or with just life in general. Restoring my soul to a place that is not about me but the BIGGER picture. My prayer life has changed. My attitude is changing. I wrote on the top of my journal GOD USE ME! I DESIRE TO BE A PEACEMAKER! TO LOVE OTHERS LIKE YOU! This brings me to my point about scripture. My entire life I have heard people say,"Don't worry God won't give you more than you can handle." Heck, there is even a Christian band on the radio who sings,"I won't give you more, more than you can stand." I have always just taken that for fact. OK. Great. Sounds good to me. But the other day someone said it in reference to someone being overwhelmed and busy with life. The Holy Spirit quickened my heart about it for some reason. I got to thinking about it, turning it over and over in my head and heart. God won't give me more than I can handle? I'm not sure what planet others live on but the one I'm spinning on IS daily more than I can handle. Isn't that the whole point? So I looked up the verse. It's 1 Corinthians 10:13-No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you be able to endure it. The things is if you back up a few verses this section is talking about sexual sin. Idolatry to be exact. I don't think my husband appreciated me waking him up early in the morning and exclaiming,"Honey, it's about sexual sin! Sexual sin!" Ya' he was mildly confused. Anyways, it just really brought the fact front and center to my heart that we need to be in the word daily. Checking things, looking back and investigating what our pastors say or people in passing. It's just good common sense as believers to be diligent and steadfast in the truth. Sometimes life does get away from us and we want the scripture to work a certain way to fit into our lives but God laid it all out there the way he did for a reason. Now I just get to spend my lifetime trying to get it all in. Be blessed!

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Oh wow! This was great! We apparently have been in a similar place lately...explaining both our absences on our blogs. Glad to hear God is speaking directly to you and revealing great and new things! Amen! We can never have enough revelations!

Thanks for that sweet comment on my blog. I gave you a shout out on mine, because I just adore you so much!!