Us

Us
Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Friday, August 8, 2008

O-R-E-N-C-I-A

How do you spell relief? Apparently it's just that O-r-e-n-c-i-a. At least that's what the doctors are telling me. If you are new to reading my blog the reader's digest version is that I have had rheumatoid arthritis that is pretty advanced and aggressive for the past 6 years. These aren't just your everyday aches and pains either. I'm talking crippling, deformed joints. Limbs that don't work, not being able to hold your toothbrush. Unable to even zip my kids sweatshirt up and lots of swelling; recently to the point that my knee was the size of my thigh. I took a picture (I know weird) but I will spare you the gross photo. I sent it to my aunt and she wasn't real thrilled. he,heee. ;) OK, focus. So about two years ago to the week I went into the hospital for three rounds of chemo. I know sounds bizarre but when you have really bad arthritis & other drugs have not worked they take drastic measures. It was the same meds they give patients with Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Ya' yuck! I was supposed to get it every six months and it took about 4 hours in the chemo ward. After feeling & looking like death and then discovering it only worked for about three weeks I had a melt down. Being in pain every single day all day long will do that to you eventually. I was determined never to go back to that chemo room. I started seeing a holistic Dr. and started eating all organic natural foods. No wheat, no dairy, no gluten. I felt so much better and did really well until about this past April. Then my body (and my rheumatologist) decided it was time to tap back into some drugs before I damaged my joints for good and needed tons of surgery or a walker. At 34 that seems absurd doesn't it? I started back on a weekly pill form of Chemo and that started helping but she suggested I give orencia a try. Great! Back to "the room!" She could see the hesitation on my face in that I had worked really hard to get healthy with food and changed my entire life around how I ate. I felt like a quitter and a failure. The Dr. said she would put in the paper work for the chemo and give me a few weeks to think about it and talk to my husband. We decided to pray and see if I had peace from God about going in for this new trial run. They can NEVER guarantee a drug will work and no two people ever have the same result so its impossible to know how sick you will get or if this one will be "the miracle drug for you." So we went on vacation and I kept just pleading with God that I would be brave. Be comforted and that I would not get deathly ill. This past wed. was "D day" so to speak and so I decided (because he makes me more nervous playing with all the Dr.'s tools in the room) to have Dan stay home with the girls and my aunt would drive me to the appointment. They told me to eat light which I of course completely ignored and went to my favorite hole in the wall place and had my first REAL turkey sandwich and garlic bread in 2 years. he,heeee. See, totally rebellious. :) I was in a good mood and really calm. I started to get sweaty palms when I arrived but I decided going in I would have only positive thoughts and comments to the nurses and the Dr. I got all hooked up and this time I did great! I didn't get sick. I felt good and had peace about the whole thing. I got run down that night and had nausea and dizziness all day yesterday but they said was to be expected so I wasn't worried and took it to be the best thing ever that it wasn't worse. I feel great today and don't go back for 2 weeks. I am pain free so far and would love it if you could pray for my body. My mind and heart are positive and encouraged but there is a chance I could get really, really sick in the next few days because I will have not have much of an immune system. With 2 small girls and a husband who runs on sick people all day it is a bit scary. I have to stay away form sick people and be very aware of my health. As a mom we neglect ourselves as it, is so please pray I would be wise. I am sorry this was so long but I woke up so excited today. I was able to lift my friends baby today(thanks for the visit Jess) and carry him around without pain or fear of dropping him. I opened up a bottle for my girls and for once I don't feel like I going to explode from lack of pain relief. I even can walk barefoot with cringing. Whew-hew!!! Isnt' it cool how God provides. He is the ultimate healer in all things. I know he has a plan in all of this & I am ready!! :)

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Yay! I'm praying for your body and your soul. It was great to visit with you for a while today. Now those germies need to stay away from you so you don't get sick! Love you!

MLasch said...

I will be praying for you. I didn't know it was arthritis that was your physical ailment, but I could tell from your very sporadic comments that you had a health concern. I find your attitude amazing! I love the title of your blog, "life is good". It's perfect for you!

Erica Young said...

I'm sorry that you have to be going through this, I can't imagine what you're going through. I will be praying for you.

Marissa said...

How awesome God is!! He is the Healer, and Provider!

I will keep you in prayer for wisdom, health, and continued healing...keep that bright outlook! It makes a difference!

Crystal said...

I will continue to pray for you my friend.
I'm glad you feel relief! I wish I lived closer.

Leslie said...

oh awesome Christy... to finally have some relief. Im praying big time, that God will continue those good days...