Us

Us
Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Hebrews 4:12

Have you ever had one of those moments where you look at yourself in the mirror and you know for a fact that you are no longer in high school? You feel like you've made great strides in growing up and moving away from the drama and things that in all reality should only take place between 15 year olds. And before I go off on my tangent let me just first say that I am in no way perfect or free of slipping with my tongue but lets be real here people, especially people who call themselves lovers of God; when you purposly go out with the intent and motive to talk about others and say things that in only "your opinion" are true about someone you are causing disention in the body of believers. Ok so with that said allow me to expand on what has caused me distress all night and how God gave me peace this morning about it.

I ran into an old friend last night who I hadn't seen in year and we had a blast catching up on each others kids and lives. Then he asked me about something he had heard about a mutual friend of ours (we all attended the same church for many years) I was instantly sad becuase the reason he heard this untrue thing about these friends was via someone who just wanted to tear them down and gossip without any real facts. They somehow felt that spreading things that were unloving, unkind, and untrue was their responsiblity. I took a deep breath and prayed silently that I would dig deep and find tact before I set the record straight. Isnt' it funny how an impromtu reunion can turn sour and leave you feeling like you have weights on your shoulders because one person chose to tear someone down? I mean why is it so hard for us to build each other up? Why do we feel like the world isn't a hard enough place so we make it harder by helping Satan tare each other down? I mean how wronf is it that our tongue does so much damage. What if I hadn't run into my friend and set the record straight? He would have walked around with that false information about our friends, maybe told someone else, and so the cycle continues. As I was spending time in the word this morning I came across this verse.
For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to diving soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from Gods sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must account. Hebrews 4:12-13

Thank you God that you know my heart and my intentions. Thank you that you cut to the core and keep me on my toes. Make me sensitive to those around me but also honest and truthful. Create in me a clean heart oh God. Amen.

2 comments:

DonnaG said...

You know what? That situation with slightly different circumstances came up with me last too. I met a friend of mine for coffee and we were discussing a weighty issue going on at church. I was so much at peace because she was able to "dig down" and continue to say kind things about this person/situation that are clearly not healthy at all.

Being kind does not mean that you condone irresponsible behaviors. Being tactful does not immediately mean acceptance of sin. I was grateful that she was such a fine example to me. We were able to discuss and come up with a plan on how to resolve this most pressing issue.

Jessica said...

If there is one thing I have learned from being a teacher, it's how easily words can be twisted (especially when kids are involved....haha). It's amazing what one person hears and how different it can be from what actually happened, or what you actually said, then someone else hears it from that person and it's something different altogether. That is how the viscous cycle usually happens. It can be hard if it is not something positive. At least you got the chance to correct your friend and state the truth, that is always good. The hard part is continuing to love if you've been hurt by it. I guess that's when we just pray for God to change our hearts.